Image Workflow

The image that follows was digitally captured and brought in Lightroom for adjustments. In the Develop module, I opened the Basic panel to make adjustments. The exposure was increased to brighten up the overall image causing a shift in the histogram and distributing tones to the right. Fill light was added to open up the shadow area to the left of the image. A touch of clarity added a bit of contrast to the midtones and popped the image a bit. A little saturation slightly popped some of the colors. I don’t like to overdo this, but did feel that a slight saturation was warranted in this image. 

The image was then brought into Photoshop for further editing. The working space was verified to be Adobe RGB 1998. The background layer was duplicated for cloning. I used both the cloning stamp tool and content aware fill. I typically like to do my cleaning up prior to any adjustments. I do find that this method works best for my workflow. 

The black point and white point in the image were adjusted with a Levels layer. I painted back a white pipe in the mask that was slightly blown-out with the adjustment. A very slight adjustment of a Hue/Saturation layer helped to further bump up the intensity of the roof tiles and windows in the image. A Vibrance adjustment layer further helped to increase the intensity of the more muted colors. Another Levels adjustment lightened the gray in the pants hanging. I filled that layer with black to affect only the area that I wanted to lighten. A Brightness/Contrast layer also was used to add a little contrast to the pants. The Background layer was then duplicated to sharpen the image. I used an Unsharp Mask with an Amount of 85, Radius 1.0 and a Threshold of 3. The blending mode was changed to Luminosity.

The before and after images follow. I have also included a screen shot of my Photoshop layers.

"Before" image, prior to adjustments.

"Before" image, prior to adjustments.

"After" image.

"After" image.

Photoshop Layers.

Photoshop Layers.